Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 20

The Z Square 7 Crew
Z Square 7 Crew Families
Z Square 7 Crew Cemeteries.
Missing Air Crew Report
Z Square 7 Crew Military Funeral
Memorial Lt Eugene M. Thomas Jr (Marion, Al)
Memorial Lt Francis X. Glacken (Cambridge, MA)
Memorial Lt Norman B. Bassett (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)
Marcia Bassett McGrattan
Memorial Sgt George P. Demers (Lynn, MA)
Memorial Sgt George P. Demers (Lynn, MA)
Peter & Lillian Demers/Charlotte (Demers) Fiasconaro
Memorial Sgt Louis A. Dorio (Clarksville, VA)
POW-MIA-KIA Ceremony
500th Bomb Group, 73rd Wing Honor Roll
Bill Mauldin With Willie And Joe
Father John McBride
S/Sgt Kenneth O. Eslick with Photo Album
Sgt Jesse S. Klein. 41-13180
Frank Farr & Merseburg, Germany
"Lili Marlene" The Song!
"Lili Marlene" The B-17
"Lily Marlene" The B-24
"Lili Marlene" The B-24
Ivan Fail Introduction and "Long Before The Guns And Tanks."
Ivan Fail's "Tribute to the Queen"
American Battle Monuments Commission - Cemeteries
American Battle Monuments Commission - Memorials
M/Sgt Roy P. Benavidez, Vietnam Medal Of Honor
Frank Farr Poetry "November 2, 1944", "Old Men And The War", " Merseburg"
Some Pictures of World War 2
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Pages Introduction
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Crew Index
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 1
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 2
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 3
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 4
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 5
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 6
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 7
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 8
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 9
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 10
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 11
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 12
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 13
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 14
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 15
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 16
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 17
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 18
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 19
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 20
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 21
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 22
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 23
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 24
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 25
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - B29 Superfortress
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - B26 Marauder
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - B25 Mitchell
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - B24 Liberator
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - B17 Flying Fortress
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - C87 Liberator Express
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - PBM-5 Mariner
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - A20 Havoc Attack Bomber
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - C47 Transport
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - P61 Black Widow
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page - A26 Invader
Ivan Fail's "The Tuskegee Airmen"
Airmen Medal Of Honor Memorial
Memorial Page #1
Memorial Page #2
Memorial Page #3
Memorial Page #4
Memorial Page #5
Memorial Page #6
The Navajo Code Talkers & Native American Medals Of Honor
Ivan Fail's "D Day, The Normandy Invasion"
B-29 Crew Positions & Specifications
About The Book
C. Clayton Thompson Bookseller
Ivan Fail's "When The Mustangs Came"
Ivan Fail "The Eighteen Wheeler's Hymn"
Lompoc Veterans Memorial Building with photo album
Ivan Fail's "Against All Odds - Mission Complete"
Ford Tolbert by Sallyann
Ford Tolbert Pictures
A Tribute to Lt Raymond "Hap" Halloran
Lt Raymond "Hap" Halloran
Colonel Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, USMC, The Black Sheep Squadron
Lt Halloran Eulogy for Colonel Boyington
Omori POW Camp
Ivan Fail's "A Salute To Lt. Holguin"/ "Shoo Shoo Baby"
Great Bend, Kansas B-29 Memorial
General Lemay's biography including a B-29 nose art photo album
March 9 and 10, 1945 Over Tokyo
Lt "Hap" Halloran on March 10, 1945
General Earl Johnson
General Earl Johnson Biography
313th Bomb Wing Mining Missions
Lt Robert Copeland, copilot, Z Square 8
Pyote Bomber Base With A Photo Album
History of "Diamond Lil" With A Photo Album
History of "FIFI" With A Photo Album
"Hap" Halloran induction Combat Airman Hall of Fame
Blackie Blackburn with a photo album
Hap's Memorable Flight On FIFI
C. Douglas Caffey, A WW2 Veteran, Book Of Poetry
C. Douglas Caffey Collection Of Poetry
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 19
Page 20
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
Page 25
Page 26
Page 27
Page 28
Page 29
Page 30
Page 31
Page 32
Page 33
C. Douglas Caffey on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
C. Douglas Caffey With More on PTSD
C. Douglas Caffey Memorial Day Flying The Flag
C. Douglas Caffey Saying Goodbye To America
Pearl Harbor with Photo Album
The Pacific Theater
Battle of Saipan, Mariana Islands
Saipan Medals of Honor
Battle of Tinian, Mariana Islands
Tinian Medals of Honor
Battle of Guam, Mariana Islands
Guam Medals of Honor
Battle of Iwo Jima
Iwo Jima Medals of Honor
Cpl Ira Hayes, USMC
Battle of Okinawa
Okinawa Medals of Honor
Japanese Surrender
Navy Ships At Surrender Ceremonies
Ivan Fail's "The Saga Of The Superfortress"
Ivan Fail's "The Silent Sentries"
Last Page


 The USS Achilles took part in the Leyte landings in October and November 1944. On November 12, 1944 a Japanese air attack swept in upon the invading American fleet. Intense antiaircraft fire downed two enemy planes almost instantly, two more crashed into repair ships - Egeria (ARL-8) and Achilles (ARL-41). On November 12, 1949, 11 sailors from the USS Achilles were buried at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery Section E199-202.

Beauchamp, John David SF3
Burton, Norman Tucker SM3
Dickes, Ralph Joseph MOMM1C
Henderson, Porter GM3
Henry, Edwin Ernest S1C
Inda, George Thomas COX
Joudas, Jim S1C
Keller, Charles William FIC
Kendall, Karl Bruce SC3C
Martenson, Edward Allen Y3
Zinn, Francis James MOMM3C


USS Achilles (ARL-41)

USS Achilles (ARL-41) was one of 39 Achelous-class landing craft repair ships built for the United States Navy during World War II. Named after the Greek hero Achilles, she was the only U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name. She was laid down as the unnamed LST-455 on 3 August 1942 at Vancouver, Washington by Kaiser Company; launched on 17 October 1942; and commissioned on 30 January 1943 with Lieutenant Clarence Cisin in command.

World War II

Amphibious assaults on Japanese-held islands in the South and Southwest Pacific Theater had involved virtually hundreds of landing craft of all types and sizes, ranging from small craft to infantry landing craft and tank landing craft (LCIs and LCTs, respectively). Since these specialized assault craft, of comparatively light construction, could not be repaired with the few facilities and men available to them alone, orders went out that several tank landing ships would be converted to special landing craft repair ships (later classified as ARL). However, modifying existing LSTs in stateside yards required time (a critical commodity in the fairly steady pace of the amphibious island-hopping campaigns) that the forces fighting at the front did not have. At this point, LST-455, then in Australian waters, came under the gaze of these amphibious planners. Experienced personnel, trained in ship repair work, were assigned to the ship and almost doubled the size of her complement. Ready for service by the latter part of May 1943, the former tank landing ship departed Australian waters, bound for New Guinea, and arrived at Milne Bay on 2 June 1943. She immediately commenced the work for which she had been converted, repairing LCIs under the guidance of the repair officer of Rigel.


On 4 September 1943, Vice Admiral Daniel E. Barbey's 7th Fleet Amphibious Forces put Australian troops ashore on the Huon Peninsula, near Lae, New Guinea. LST-455 moved up to support these operations from Morobe Bay and lay anchored there among the Allied ships, presenting a tempting target by virtue of the nest of LCIs alongside. Nine Japanese dive bombers, escorted by nine "Zero" fighters, attacked the shipping in Morobe Bay and singled out LST-455 for attention, scoring a direct hit aft. A large bomb hit the stern, passed through the galley, and exploded in the crew's quarters, aft, starting fires and trapping men in the after steering room. Determined sailors battled the blaze and cut through bulkheads to rescue the trapped men. The damage control measures were directed by the ship's commanding officer, Lieutenant E. A. Peterson, USNR (who had relieved Lieutenant Cisin in August) and won him a Navy Cross for personal heroism. Although she had been heavily hit, LST-455 shot down two of the attackers. By nightfall, her men had extinguished the blaze and commenced initial repairs. She had suffered the loss of 18 men killed; 11 were wounded; and six men were missing. Sonoma then towed LST-455 to Milne Bay where the repair ship was berthed alongside Rigel. However, the need for LST-455's services was so urgent that she was soon back to work repairing LCI's even though her own severe damage had not yet been fully corrected. On 21 August 1944, the ship was named Achilles and reclassified officially as a landing craft repair ship, ARL-41. Soon thereafter, she proceeded north to participate in the reconquest of the Philippine Islands. As the invasion proceeded, all Service Force ships were shifted to anchorages off Samar, in San Pedro Bay. There Achilles saw daily evidence of a new weapon unveiled by the Japanese in their relentless attempt to disrupt the American offensive: the kamikaze ("Divine Wind"), planes flown by Japanese pilots on one-way missions of destruction.


During the first four days of November, the weather provided a respite from the kamikaze, although it came in the form of a typhoon which buffeted the ship. When the clouds finally cleared, the kamikaze returned. Lookouts soon pinpointed three "Zekes" (Mitsubishi A6M5 "Zero" fighters) heading on a course that would take them across Achilles` bow. As the landing craft repair ship's forward guns commenced firing, one plane passed ahead; the second, however, turned tightly and commenced a dive straight at Achilles as she and the four LCIs moored to her lay immobile. The repair ship's gunners scored hits on the diving aircraft, but could not stop it. The aircraft crashed into the ship forward, its motor tearing through the main deck. The aircraft itself hit the forward deckhouse in the carpenter shop, where number one repair party had gathered at its battle station. After the deafening explosion that wiped out the repair party, orange-red flames (caused by gasoline from the burning aircraft) swept across the weather deck, while parts of the "Zeke" tumbled through the air, some landing 250 yards (230 m) astern. Fires immediately spread, their progress unchecked due to the disruption of the forward fire mains upon impact of the aircraft. The kamikaze crash had killed 19 men and wounded an additional 28; 14 men were unaccounted for.


In the latter half of February 1945 and early March, Achilles returned via Biak to Leyte, but quickly proceeded to Subic Bay and Mindoro, spending a week in each place, tending LSMs and carrying out her vital support work. During the latter part of April, Achilles moved down to Morotai, in the Netherlands East Indies, for further tender duty, readying landing craft for the impending invasion of Borneo. Participating in the initial landings at Brunei Bay, Borneo, Achilles again came under air attack, when a "Dinah" loosed two bombs that landed 50 yards (46 m) off her starboard beam. This attack, on 10 June 1945, caused no damage to the ship, although shrapnel wounded two men in Achilles` crew. The repair ship remained at Borneo until she returned to the Philippine Islands late in July to join the forces marshalling there for the projected invasion of the Japanese homeland. However, the capitulation of Japan in mid-August obviated "Operation Olympic" (the assault against the home islands of Japan) but did not end operations for Achilles. She repaired landing craft into the fall of 1945, relieved on station by Proserpine. Proceeding to Hawaii, Achilles, in company with Remus, reached Pearl Harbor on the last day of October. Decommissioned on 19 July 1946, Achilles was struck from the Navy List on 28 August 1946.


The ship received three battle stars for her World War II service: one as LST-455 and two as Achilles.



This C47, 42-100801, “Picadilly Filly,” and crew were assigned to the 83rd Squadron of the 437th Troop Carrier Group. On September 17, 1944 the C-47 was towing a glider during Operation Market Garden enroute to Eindhoven. Near Bladel, Holland the number 2 engine was hit by flak. The glider was released and the C-47 crashed out of control killing the four crewmembers (MACR 9903). On December 22, 1948, three crewmembers were buried at Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery Section E13-14.


1/Lt Gilmore, Charles W  Pilot      Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

S/Sgt Golden, William F  Radio Operator  Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

2/Lt Thomas, Robert V          Copilot     Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

Cpl Difalco, Guy L.                Engineer     Netherlands American Cemetery


This C47, 42-108884, and crew were assigned to the 86th Squadron of the 437th Troop Carrier Group. On December 22, 1948, two members were buried at Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery Section E13-14.


Lt Col Ralph Leer     Commander

Captain Philip Uhlenbrock      Pilot

1/Lt Peterson, Edward J Jr        Copilot   Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

Sgt Rice, James B       Radio Operator    Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

Sgt Bela Benko              Engineer             Survived


The fully packed Douglas Skytrains took off from the British airfield Ramsbury, towing Gliders behind them. They set course for the rendezvous with other squadrons to fly to the landing- and dropping zones in The Netherlands. The Skytrain (serial No 42-100801) under command of Pilot Charles Gilmore, flew as No12 in the formation. It had been designated to the 437th TCG (Troop Carrier Group) in Squadron 83. The rest of the crew consisted of the 2nd Pilot Thomas Robert, Flight Engineer Guy Difalco and radio operator William Golden.


The flight to the landing zone went without any problems worth mentioning until passing the Dutch coastline when we encountered heavy Flak. Some planes in the formation sustained hits with only minor damage. But when eventually the target came in view, Pilot Gilmore's plane was heavily hit by Flak.


Lieutenant John Sneed, who flew directly behind Lt. Gilmore, told what happened:

His plane sustained a direct hit by a Flak grenade in the right engine and the right hand side of the cockpit. The plane continued on course for a few seconds then started to slowly climb, turned to the right and released the glider. This all happened about seven minutes prior to reaching our target. The plane then made a turn dropping with the wing pointing down and dived straight into the ground. I lost sight of it then.

It was a great tragedy, the plane crashed with great speed into the ground near Bladel and Netersel. The crew never had a chance to get out. The '801' called 'Piccadilly Filly' changed instantly into a heap of mangled aluminum trapping the bodies of the crew, who were subsequently buried in a mass grave.


A second Skytrain also crashed near the '801'. It was the 42-108884, also from 437th TCG, but the 86th squadron. Lt. Colonel Ralph Leer the pilot of this plane was to take a glider to the landing-zone. The rest of the crew were, Captain Philip Uhlenbrock, Lt. Edward Peterson, Sergt Bela Benko and Sergt. James Rice. Sergt. Benko was the only survivor.


His story:


Above enemy territory, our plane was hit several times by canon fire in the right wing, perhaps ten to twenty times. About ten minutes later, I stood with my back turned to the cockpit when there was a terrific explosion. I believe we were hit by a Flak grenade on the right side of the plane. I immediately went to the cockpit and radio hut, but when I opened the door, I was met by a sea of flames. Behind me, someone sang out "Let's go!" Our radio operator Rice jumped out of his seat and raced for the door that separated the radio hut from the cockpit. I tried to pull him back but he was fighting desperately to open the door. The heat was unbearable and I had to retreat, but I saw Rice entering the cockpit. I looked for my parachute shouldered it and went for the load door, where I buckled up in the parachute. That moment I felt that the plane went out of control and increased in speed. It was then I saw Rice again who brought along Lt. Peterson, Both of them were severely burnt and barely recognizable with their burnt clothes and faces. I helped them to get into their parachutes and we went to the tail end of the plane. Meanwhile the fuselage had filled with a foul-smelling smoke and flames. Finishing off fastening my parachute, I noticed a body lying on the floor with his head about m from the load-door. I thought it was Capt. Uhlenbrock whose hair was completely burned off. Suddenly he moved and yelled for me to get out. I went to the door kneeled down and bending my head forward let go.

A few seconds later, my parachute opened. I saw our plane diving straight down and in the midst of flames crashed into the ground. I don't think Lt. Col. Leer managed to get out of the cockpit.


I repeat that I only saw three men after the plane was hit. Despite a partially fastened parachute I landed safely although rather heavily. The last I saw of the plane was a mass of flames. The remains of the bodies were buried in the mass grave in Bladel.


Another plane above Bladel got into trouble, this time from the 436th TCG, 82nd Squadron, serial No 42-1006762. Painted on the nose in large lettering 'Skytrain' followed by the word 'Dakota'. This plane did not tow a Glider but carried 18 Para-troopers of the 101st Airborne Division. The pilot was 1st Lieutenant Guide Brassesco, rest of the crew were, Joseph Andrews, Barry Tinkom and Joseph Curreri. This plane also sustained a hit from the Flak killing 6 Para-troopers; Thomas Seibel, Joseph Findley, Ralph Dominic, Joseph Cervo, Harvey White and Forrest Snelling. The rest of the troopers and the crew managed to leave the plane and reached the ground unhurt. They observed how the, out of control, plane with the bodies of the killed Para's crashed into the ground not far from the burning wrecks of the '801' and the '884'.


The remains of the bodies of the unfortunate Para-troopers were located in the wreck and buried in the mass grave. Two of the bodies who could not be identified were also found, one of whom wore a ring by which he could be identified as Jo Cervo. It can be reasonably assumed the other body was of John Burke. He was 2nd Pilot of Skytrain 43-15302 which had as commander William Williams. John Burke jumped out of the plane with no chance of survival, as it was already too close to the ground. He crashed to the ground and was maimed beyond recognition. The '302' crashed burning to the ground, with three of the crew still aboard, just north from Eerssel. Witnesses say they the remains of the plane kept glowing up to four days later. The three crewmembers are still listed as missing and are assumed to have been buried somewhere, unknown.

Harvey Tappe was a crewmember of a glider, which came to grief in the area of the crashed Skytrain. He was later also buried in the mass grave to come to rest with the rest of the fallen crewmembers. Short after the Battle of Arnhem a simple monument was placed in Bladel a small Township in Brabant, in memory of the Allied airmen.



This B25. 44-31207, and crew were assigned to the 500th Squadron of the 345th Bomb Group. On July 30, 1945, on a mission to destroy a Japanese naval radar tower, the plane was hit by flak and crashed into a mountain near Saiki City, Oita Prefecture. There were no survivors. The five crew members were buried in the Zachary Taylor National Cemetery on Site E12 on January 20, 1949. 


2/Lt Green, Robert Lee                    Pilot

2/Lt Hendricks, Wayne                    Navigator

S/Sgt Kingsbury, Walter E,               Radio Operator

2/Lt Middleton, Curtiss O                 Copilot

Sgt Shaker, Sammy M                     Engineer




The 500th Bomb Squadron ("Rough Raiders") -- one of four squadrons of the 345th Bomb Group (M) -- was activated at Columbia Army Air Base, South Carolina on 11 November, 1942.  After training in the United States and Australia, combat operations of the 500th Bomb Squadron began in New Guinea in June 1943.  Shortly after flying a few combat missions against the Japanese at medium altitudes, the squadron's B-25 "Mitchell" bombers were converted to strafers and, for the remainder of its existence, the squadron flew low-level strafer-bombing missions.  From New Guinea, the squadron continued its combat operations "island hopping" northward, winding up against the Japanese homeland itself in early August 1945.




42-95171 Gengler Crew

Kneeling left to right - James N. Green, S/Sgt., Right Waist Gunner; Fred A. Doninger, T/Sgt., Radio Operator; Thomas F. Murray III, S/Sgt., Left Waist Gunner; Vernon C. DeLeon, S/Sgt., Nose Gunner; Albert J. Whitus, S/Sgt., Tail Gunner.

Standing left to right - Matthew J. K. House, Lt., Bombardier; Frank T. Gengler, Lt., Pilot; John P. Cowger, Lt., Co-Pilot; John E. McKenzie, Jr., Lt., Navigator; James F. McKee, T/Sgt., Engineer/Top Turret Gunner.

This B24 Liberator, 42-95171, “Diana-Mite,” and crew were assigned to the 734th Squadron of the 453rd Bomb Group. The plane was lost on July 21, 1944 in a mid-air collision with another B24, 41-29259, “Our Baby” over the target in Munich and crashed near Damsheim, Germany about 12 miles SW of Stuttgart (MACR 7253). They had passed through heavy flak and one of the planes may have been hit. The B24, 41-29259, was assigned to the same squadron and bomb group. Six crew members were killed and three others were captured. On August 23, 1949, Lt House and Lt McKenzie were buried at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery Site E127.



Lt Frank T. Gengler                  Pilot

2/Lt Mathew J.K. House          Bombardier    Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

2/Lt John P. Cowger                 Copilot                 POW

2/Lt John E. McKenzie          Navigator          Zachary Taylor Nat’l Cemetery

T/Sgt James F. McKee          Engineer/Gunner   Lorraine American Cemetery

S/Sgt James N. Green          Gunner

T/Sgt Fred A. Doninger          Radio Operator   Lorraine American Cemetery

S/Sgt Thomas F. Murray III          Gunner

S/Sgt Vernon C. DeLeon          Gunner

S/Sgt Albert J. Whitus          Gunner



Lt Wayne Cowgill  Pilot  captured near Darmsheim
Lt James R. Martin captured near Darmsheim
Sgt Dale Holker captured near Aidlingen
James W. Wheeler KIA*  Lorraine American Cemetery
Ernest G. Stathes KIA* Lorraine American Cemetery
Ellis Pfeiffer KIA*
Thomas J O'Kane KIA*
Dean R. Smith KIA**
Donald W. Sang KIA** Lorraine American Cemetery

*Buried at Darmsheim Cemetery, Boblingen District on 22 July 44
**Buried at Doffingen Cemetery, Boblingen District on 22 July 44


Three 453rd Pilots witnessed the collision that broke up both planes. No chutes were seen. The copilot of Diana-Mite, 2/Lt. John P. Cowger, said the planes exploded when they collided at 23,000 feet and he was blown out of the plane. He credits his survival to the fact that he never wore his seatbelt while flying! He was severely injured, but was taken as a POW. He was released in a prisoner exchange in early 1945.


42-95171 "Diana-Mite"