Memorial Page #1

The Z Square 7 Crew
Z Square 7 Crew Families
Z Square 7 Crew Cemeteries.
Missing Air Crew Report
Z Square 7 Crew Military Funeral
Memorial Lt Eugene M. Thomas Jr (Marion, Al)
Memorial Lt Francis X. Glacken (Cambridge, MA)
Memorial Lt Norman B. Bassett (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)
Marcia Bassett McGrattan
Memorial Sgt George P. Demers (Lynn, MA)
Memorial Sgt George P. Demers (Lynn, MA)
Peter & Lillian Demers/Charlotte (Demers) Fiasconaro
Memorial Sgt Louis A. Dorio (Clarksville, VA)
POW-MIA-KIA Ceremony
Bill Mauldin With Willie And Joe
Father John McBride
S/Sgt Kenneth O. Eslick with Photo Album
Sgt Jesse S. Klein. 41-13180
Sgt James B. Rice, Radio Operator, C47, 42-108884
Frank Farr & Merseburg, Germany
Ivan Fail Introduction and "Long Before The Guns And Tanks."
Ivan Fail's "Tribute to the Queen"
Frank Farr Poetry "November 2, 1944", "Old Men And The War", " Merseburg"
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Pages Introduction
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Crew Index
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 1
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 2
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 3
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 4
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 5
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 6
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 7
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 8
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 9
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 10
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 11
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 12
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 13
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 14
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 15
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 16
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 17
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 18
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 19
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 20
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 21
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 22
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 23
Zachary Taylor Nat'l Cemetery Memorial Page 24
Ivan Fail's "The Tuskegee Airmen"
Memorial Page #1
Memorial Page #2
Memorial Page #3
Memorial Page #4
Memorial Page #5
Memorial Page #6
The Navajo Code Talkers & Native American Medals Of Honor
Ivan Fail's "D Day, The Normandy Invasion"
Ivan Fail's "When The Mustangs Came"
Ivan Fail's "Against All Odds - Mission Complete"
Ford Tolbert by Sallyann
Ford Tolbert Pictures
A Tribute to Lt Raymond "Hap" Halloran
Lt Raymond "Hap" Halloran
Colonel Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, USMC, The Black Sheep Squadron
Lt Halloran Eulogy for Colonel Boyington
Omori POW Camp
Ivan Fail's "A Salute To Lt. Holguin"/ "Shoo Shoo Baby"
General Lemay's biography including a B-29 nose art photo album
March 9 and 10, 1945 Over Tokyo
Lt "Hap" Halloran on March 10, 1945
General Earl Johnson
General Earl Johnson Biography
313th Bomb Wing Mining Missions
Lt Robert Copeland, copilot, Z Square 8
Pyote Bomber Base With A Photo Album
"Hap" Halloran induction Combat Airman Hall of Fame
Blackie Blackburn with a photo album
Hap's Memorable Flight On FIFI
C. Douglas Caffey, A WW2 Veteran, Book Of Poetry
C. Douglas Caffey Collection Of Poetry
C. Douglas Caffey Poetry
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "Graveyard at the Bottom of the Sea"
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "I Saw Liberty Crying"
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "Old Memories"
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "I Saw An Old Veteran"
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "Flying Backwards"
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "All Is Quiet On Iwo Jima"
C. Douglas Caffey Poem "Bones In The Sand"
C. Douglas Caffey on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
C. Douglas Caffey With More on PTSD
C. Douglas Caffey Memorial Day Flying The Flag
C. Douglas Caffey Saying Goodbye To America
The Pacific Theater
Battle of Saipan, Mariana Islands
Saipan Medals of Honor
Battle of Tinian, Mariana Islands
Tinian Medals of Honor
Battle of Guam, Mariana Islands
Guam Medals of Honor
Battle of Iwo Jima
Iwo Jima Medals of Honor
Cpl Ira Hayes, USMC
Battle of Okinawa
Okinawa Medals of Honor
Ivan Fail's "The Saga Of The Superfortress"
Ivan Fail's "The Silent Sentries"
Last Page

On these Memorial Pages I would like to tell the stories of our veterans of World War Two. If you know an interesting story and would like to share it with others, just email the educational and patriotic story to me at flgrube1@aol.com and I will include it on these pages. There are no restrictions on the branch of service. Army Air corps, Naval, Infantry, Marines....any branch of service is ok.

"I thought you'd like to add another name to your "Memorial List". Twenty year old Army Air Force 2nd Lt. Howard Clifton Enoch Jr. was a P-51 Mustang pilot who was killed in action when he was shot down over Germany on March 19, 1945. In addition to other family members he left behind his 17 year old pregnant bride who had their only child two months later.
Lt. Enoch's remains were recovered not long ago in the former East Germany and returned to America where he was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetary. Howard Enoch III, the son he never got to see -, is the Director of the E Paul Robsham Jr. Theater Arts Center at Framington, Massachussetts. Those of us who are deeply indebted to those who have given so much -, will never know -, at least until Judgement Day -, how many others like like Lt. Enoch Jr are scattered around the battlefields of the world. Many of them were   blown up in mid air and fell from the skies in  unidentifiable and unrecoverable "bits and pieces". As a father and grandfather -, I can't    begin to imagine the Hell that their families live with for the rest of their lives. They are the unsung and unsaluted patriots whose war will only end upon their death.  There is no Medal big enough to compensate them or express what we owe them as well."        Ivan Fail
Clifton Enoch, Jr.
Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Forces
Service # O-829832
368th Fighter Squadron, 359th Fighter Group
Entered the Service from: Kentucky
Died: 19-Mar-45
Missing in Action or Buried at Sea
Tablets of the Missing at Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery
Henri-Chapelle, Belgium
Awards: Air Medal, Purple Heart
63 years after death, soldier is going home

 By James Vaznis
Courtesy of the Boston Globe
2 July 2008

His P51D fighter plane under attack by the Luftwaffe, 20-year-old Howard Enoch Jr. ultimately plunged to the ground in Germany, never to be heard from again.

That was March 19, 1945, and the crash site would become part of East Germany, behind the Iron Curtain, making it all but impossible for the US government to recover remains of fallen soldiers.

But reunification of Germany more than a decade ago helped the United States strike an agreement with the government to let the US military search the former East Germany area for remains. That enabled the military to locate and ultimately identify Enoch's remains and pieces of the wrecked plane.

Now, Enoch's son is planning the burial of a father he never knew.

HC Enoch Jr. World War II PHOTO
Family Photo

In a face-to-face meeting in April, two US Department of Defense officials told him of the positive identifications of the remains, at a gathering of family members of missing soldiers in Connecticut.

"I totally fell apart," said Howard Enoch III, 63, director of the Robsham Theater Arts Center at Boston College. "It was the bitter sweetness of a dream come true and sadness of the lost years."

The son was born three months after his father's death.

The older Enoch entered the Army on April 15, 1944. He was a second lieutenant when he flew solo over Germany and was engaged with enemy aircraft 20 miles east of Leipzig when he went down, according to the Defense Department.

Eight years later, the military declared the soldier unrecoverable. "I never held out hope of knowing what happened to my father," Enoch said in a recent telephone interview.

Four years ago, as part of a review of crash sites in the former East Germany, Defense Department officials found small fragments of the plane scattered over an area the size of a football field.

Two years later, military investigators returned for an excavation, recovering human remains and aircraft wreckage. A year later, the remains were sent to a lab for identification. A forensic analysis confirmed the identity in April.

The younger Enoch said that the Army will visit him in Framingham this month to make arrangements for a burial.

"For so many years, he was resting quietly in that field," Howard Enoch said.

"I think my dad deserves all the recognition and honor I can get for him," he said. "He truly is a hero."

 Army finds remain of local man's father
By By Dan McDonald, Framingham, Massachusetts, Daily News
5 July 2008

Howard Enoch III keeps a memorial to his father on a shelf in his living room, where black-and-white photos are joined by military distinctions that include a Purple Heart, air medal and a pilot ring he used to wear, but stopped for fear of scratching it.

"It's ironic that someone's life is reduced to possessions that can fit into a couple cardboard boxes," said Enoch.

His father's name is also featured on the Tablets of the Missing at the Henri-Chappelle American Cemetery in Belgium.

Enoch never knew his father because Second Lieutenant Howard "Cliff" Enoch Jr. boarded a P-51D Mustang fighter on March 19, 1945, in East Wretham, England, bound for a mission over Halle, Germany, never to return. A firefight just east of Leipzig, Germany, ultimately caused him to go into a fatal nosedive.

Only 19, he left behind a 17-year-old wife and an unborn son in the hills of western Kentucky.

That son, Howard Enoch III, is now 63 years old and lives on Hilltop Lane in Framingham, Massachusetts.

On April 19, 2008, Enoch learned he would have something more than engravings and tokens of military merit to remember his father by.

It was on that date the Army told him his father's remains had been identified.

Enoch had long accepted that the unknown would cloud his father's disappearance over eastern Germany.

When he reached the age to comprehend his father's disappearance, his mother had remarried. The subject of his father was not often broached.

"My mother never talked about my father," said Enoch, who has lived in town for the past 13 years and serves as a director for a theater arts center at Boston College.

One of the few people who can recall Enoch is distant cousin and Kentucky native R.C. Hamilton.

"He was a nice young man, a good student from what I remember," said Hamilton, 82, from his Kentucky home. "I recall we used to play together a whole lot. During the Depression, there was not much else to do but visit friends and kinfolk. I recall he had a few toys I didn't have. I think it's great they found him."

Inside his home nestled in a wooded northwest nook of Framingham near the borders of Sudbury and Marlborough, Enoch tried to articulate the closure.

"It's hard to describe the bittersweetness," said Enoch, his eyes watering. "I wished he had been around, and I never expected to know anything about him. It's amazingly powerful."

As it turns out, his father's plane crashed in what would later become Soviet-controlled East Germany, hampering recovery efforts during the Cold War.

Compounding matters, World War II debris was so commonplace in Germany that a crashed plane was unlikely to cause much of a stir.

"You can't dig a hole in Germany without hitting munitions or pieces of airplanes or something that blew up," said Enoch. "So there's just so much there to the local people it's no big deal."

The pilots who were flying with Enoch misidentified the location of the crash site, further complicating the search.

"This is no one's fault. There was no GPS. They were going by landmarks in a country they had never been in before," said Enoch.

In 2004, German historian Hans Guenther Ploes identified a particular rural area as a potential location of plane wreckage.

In 2006, U.S. government dig teams sifted through the wreckage and found what at the time were termed "possible human remains."

"It was the Army, they were being cautious," said Enoch.

The archaeological findings were then sent to a lab in Hawaii for analysis.

The Army studied the geography of the crash, the style and plane identification, and, ultimately, DNA.

"They were trying to eliminate all the other possibilities just to make sure this was my dad's crash site," said Enoch.

Now, Enoch hopes for a military burial at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia by the end of August.

    Webmaster: Michael Robert Patterson

Posted: 5 July  2008
Purple Heart Medal

Air Medal


Lieutenant William W Patton. WWII Pilot

William W. Patton Born in 1918 in Granby, MO, and enlisting in the Army at the age of 16, William Wyatt Patton was refused the first time due to his being of a small, thin build. He then forced himself to eat banana crème and hamburgers to gain weight, so he could reapply three months later, which he did with success. Incorporated into flight school, he climbed the ladder and became a full-fledged and commissioned pilot at 20 years of age, a very respectable accomplishment. It was clear that Will Patton was an extremely competent, determined, and hard worker. The first assignment of the Missouri farm-boy took him to the Pacific. On December 7th, 1941, he was at Hickam Field when the Japs attacked. Later, he successfully participated at Midway, downing three enemy planes. Without doubt, Patton was an experienced and skilled pilot. In May of 1944, he was attached to the 8th Army Air Force, based in England, with the 560th Bomber Squadron of the 388th Bomb Group flying the B-17 ;Flying Fortress; Bombing missions took him to the heart of Germany, and, at that time, with fighter escort only part of the way there. The P-47 Thunderbolt did not have the fuel economy to fly to Germany, fight, and return. However, in November of 1944, the P-51D Mustang was able to do the job. Thus, between the months of May & August, for Lt. Patton, bomber losses were 20% on average, sometimes worse. This made the 10 men B-17 crew highly stressed and very well-seasoned. Finally, Lt. Patton successfully completed his 25th mission, meaning that his term of being a bomber pilot was over. Afterwards, in August of 1944, Lt. Patton received an offer to fly the magnificent and gallant P-51D Mustang with the 3rd Scouting Force at Wormingford, England. What would be the mission? to fly reconnaissance prior to bombing raids to check visibility, weather conditions, and status of the target. This type of work was ideally fitted to Lt. Patton, as he knew what conditions were needed for a successful bombing mission. 3rd Scouting Force. The Scouting Forces were to check for German flak, bad weather, and enemy activities. This group was created by Colonel Bud Peaslee, commander of the 384th Bomb Group, as he had suggested this to General James Doolittle in 1944. Just like Indians, Naval convoys, and armored divisions, the Army Air Corps also had scouts. The 1st Scouting Force (experimental) was at Honington, England on September 19th, 1944, and was attached to the 364th Fighter Group, which maintained its logistics, and detached pilots on a 15-day rotational basis. From this base, 107 missions were accomplished, and then the 1st SF was attached to the 857th BG at Bassingbourn, and logged another 24 missions. The 2nd Scouting Force was formed at Steeple Morden, where it received support of the 355th FG. These pilots were gathered from many different fighter units, and successfully finished their first 136 missions on September 26th, 1944, and the last mission on April 21st, 1945. After these pilots had completed their transition into the P-51 at Goxhill, the 3rd Scouting Force was formed at Wormingford, with the support of the 55th FG. Not a lot is known of the 3rd Scouting Force, which had been recognized as a combat unit, when, in 1996, it became known as an auxiliary squadron of the 55th Fighter Group. At the beginning, the pilots of the 55th FG were detached to fly the P-51D as scouts, but quickly the older bomber pilots replaced them. The 3rd Scouting Force conducted the first of its 140 missions in the P-51D on September 15th, 1944, and the last mission on April 21, 1945. The 3rd SF had the uniqueness of having some B-17;s in their fleet, for doing weather reconnaissance over Grand-Brittany and The  peninsula of Upper Normandy. Although the 3rd Scouting Force was not meant for combat, the outfit downed 22 German fighters while defending bombers. During their 6 months of existence, the Scouting Units lost 24 pilots: 9 in training and 15 in combat. On January 15th, 1945, Lt. Patton embarked upon his 60th mission, and had recently written home announcing that he was engaged to be married. Under the direction of Lt. Col. Vince Masters, eight fighters and eight bombers took off from their base in Wormingford destined for Lechfeld, Germany. They were to do reconnaissance work for a bombing run by the 338th Bomb Group on the Augsburg Train Station. At the English coast, difficulties started. Climbing to an altitude of 11,000 meters (3700 feet), the visibility was found to be quite bad. Twenty minutes into the flight, the 8 Mustangs were struggling to remain in a tight formation when Lt. Ed Beaty saw two Messerschmitt on his right, which had already decided to engage them. In order not to compromise the mission, two Mustangs broke formation to move the two Germans away from the squadron. Before losing all contact with the other pilots, a third pilot left the squadron in hopes of attracting any other Luftwaffe planes away from his team members. In the thick fog, different maneuvers made the enemy think that the formation was completely broken up. Since it is not officially known what happened in the cockpit of Lt. Patton's Mustang, the following lines explain what may have happened: On board of his P-51 Mustang, Lt. Patton struggled to remain in the formation. His instrumentation panel began showing alarming signs, and he tried to communicate with his squadron commander, but his radio produced only inaudible static. His instruments are clouded, and he can no longer trust them. Now he must face an extremely dangerous situation, best faced by the experienced pilot; and Lt. Patton was. Being an experienced pilot, William Patton realized that he was in an extremely dangerous situation, and that he had to utilize all his experiences. As explained by Dick Atkins (historian of the 8th AAF), a pilot who cannot  depend on his instruments in heavy fog is in trouble. Hence, it is impossible to be confident of maneuvering the airplane.

If the plane would begin to descend to the left, even an experienced pilot might think the descension to be to the right. If then the plane went into a spiral under these conditions, a pilot could easily make incorrect corrections in an attempt to correct the situation. And of course, what needed to be done that wasn't done makes things all the worse. This is what happened to William Patton, and more recently, John Kennedy, Jr; Three combat planes were lost in the sky, while five others were trying to find their way. The 15th mission of January was plagued with misfortune. The squadron commander, Vince Masters, sent an order out to those who could hear it to make a 180-degree turn. Flying with Lt. Patton, Lt. Brian J. Booker began the turn, and, in the fog, never saw Lt. Patton again. Lt. Patton did not hear the order, and was struggling to maintain his P-51, that was rogressively losing altitude in a circular movement to the left. In spite of all of his efforts with the control stick, he could not regain control of the plane. Without his instruments or visibility, it was virtually impossible to know whether he was flying level, up, or down towards the ground. Counting on having held the altitude when he began having instrument difficulties, he estimated the distance to the ground to be 1000 meters (3000 feet). If he were not to regain control of his machine, he knew what the inevitable tragedy would be, which would happen in minutes at the most. In a situation like this, explained Dick Atkins, the pilots have a good chance of parachuting out of the plane. But, at the time, there was not an ejectable seat, and the maneuver which enabled the pilot to be able to bail out was difficult. It was first necessary to unhook oneself from the cockpit, get out of the seat and then onto the wing, and make sure to clear the tail when jumping (a common and frequent accident). Overall, a pilot always had the temptation to regain control of his plane to avoid the decision to abandon ship, which caused a pilot grief, and even humiliation. Probably, William Patton did not give up fighting for his plane until he saw the ground at 500 meters (1500 feet) below. In the community of Longueville, France, certain citizens remember to this day the tremendous noise made by the crash. The P-51 Mustang of Lt. William Patton crashed into the ground. The particular place that Lt. Patton crashed was well known to the French, as it happened to be a low area that collected water from a spring, and also accepted drainage water from heavy rains. The ground was a bog area, made of clay and silt, such that it was virtually like quicksand. A farmer's horse had previously walked out into it, and sank, while onlookers watched, unable to help. Thus, Lt. Patton's Mustang was almost entirely embedded into the soft ground. The tail was yet visible, and the French knew that it was an American pilot, whom had come to liberate them, yet they could do nothing; emotion was running high. At the base in Wormingford, nobody worried much about the return of William Patton.

During this era, it was common for pilots to stop in France for minor repairs, before returning to England. On January 18th, a search began for Lt. Patton since nothing had been heard. Without knowing where to look for him, it was a difficult task. Hours passed, but Lt. Patton was not found. In Granby, Missouri, the Patton family received, on February 7th 1945, a telegram stating that Lt. Patton was MIA (missing in action). For Rhoda and Robert Patton, this uncertainty raised many doubts: Is he still living? Wounded? Prisoner? Dead? For many years, Rhoda and Robert Patton maintained contact with the U.S. Government to find out what really happened to their son. Gradually, while the chances of seeing their son lessened, the Pattons still remained hopeful. Joyce Montez, a niece of William Patton, recalls that his father would often say that he had envisioned all the possible scenarios: that William would come one day knocking on the door, or that he had been struck with amnesia, and lived somewhere in England under another name.

We have grown old with his memory, and now we finally know that he was successful in life, and we are very proud of him. He died for his country. He is very close to his mother, and he writes her often. Shortly before his disappearance, she told me that he had written a letter saying that he would marry after the war. He never had the chance, and we never knew who his fiancée was. A statement made by the North Voice (a French newspaper) on January 17th, 1945 briefly spoke of the incident, based on the report of a police officer, Lt. Bernard, made on January 16th: At 11:30 a.m. on January 15th, an American fighter plane came from the North and crashed at Longueville, just 500 meters from the train station. The aircraft was embedded nearly 9 meters into the ground, and was completely destroyed. The pilot was not found. American authorities are at the sight. Since the crash was unapproachable, it was left as was, and wasn't heard of again until February 22, 2001; 56 years after Lt. Patton had been declared MIA. Wanting to drain a low area, a French farmer uncovered the cockpit and remains of Lt. Patton and his P-51D Mustang. This greatly upset some of the local townsfolk, who had been there when the plane had crashed.

The French still felt badly that this pilot, which had come to fight in the name of liberty, had died doing so. These townsfolk of the village of Feignies, even as badly as they wanted, could not help, due to the ground conditions at that time. The location of the crash is as follows: The identity of the pilot found at Feignies was not greatly doubted, since this identity was verified with U.S. Air Force archives as having been in P-51 no. 44-15331, although the identity wasn't officially confirmed. Following, the pilot's dental x-rays were compared to the original records, in addition to a DNA analysis. The circumstances in which the wreck was uncovered, then the pilot, whom was still dressed, caused the recollection of the terms drawn up during a 1947 convention between France and the U.S. which states that all materials of the American Air Corps removed from French soil would remain property of the U.S. Air Force. The police department of Maubeuge, in addition, started a procedure to insure that the integrity of a corpse is maintained (article 225-17 of the penal code). This means that anyone who locates a corpse or parts thereof, must, by penalty of the law, notify the police. In France, the extraction of a wreck (overall military) can only be accomplished by adhering to strict rules and regulations. Otherwise, serious law violations would occur. The Mustang was recuperated in parts: the fuselage, prop, engine, gas tanks, radiator, 5 of the 6 machine guns, and an identification plaque bearing the number P- 51D no. 44-15331. Several remains were found with the pilot: his flying suit, tie, bomber jacket, parachute, and most importantly, his identification (dog) tags, which read, William W. Patton, 0-758480. This farmer, whose father was a German POW during WWII, was greatly touched to have unearthed this pilot. Many of the French citizens in the area were also greatly touched by this event. So, the French scheduled a day of remembrance on January 15th, 2003, including the dedication of a memorial and a special room. Attending the event were Connie Patton (another of Lt. Patton's nieces), U.S. Ambassadors and Council Members, officers of the U.S. Air Force from Germany, members of the French police, army, and a French veterans association. After a Catholic mass in Longueville, the group walked to a location near the crash site where a memorial now stands. During this inauguration, WWII fighter planes passed overhead. The group then moved to Fort Leveau in the village of Feignies, and the mayor led a ceremony to dedicate a room, assembled by the French, in the fort to the remembrance of Lt. Patton. The room contains memoirs of Lt. Patton: his parachute, aircraft engine and 50 caliber armament, and photos. This room shall remain a permanent remembrance  of Lt. Patton and the sacrifice he made in the name of freedom.

Thad J. RUSSEL    http://www.criba.be 

Lt Enoch and Lt Patton articles were submitted to me by Ivan Fail. Thanks Ivan!!